I love lemons! I drink a glass of hot water with two slices of lemon every morning before work, and I really feel the difference to both my skin & digestive system.
They are a really good source of vitamin C, plus the fibre and plant compounds in lemons can help reduce high cholesterol & keep a healthy heart.
2. Has potassium which helps to lower high blood pressure.
3. Also has vitamin B6 which converts food into energy.
4. Lemons have the following plant compounds (but you will need to eat the pulp to get the benefits!):
- Citric Acid - which is believed to help prevent the formation of kidney stones
- Hesperidin/Diosmin & Eriocitrin - these are all antioxidants which is a really important substance as they protect your cells against free radicals.
So, the lemon detox? There is no evidence to suggest that adding a slice of lemon to your water can 'detox' or 'cleanse' your system (only the water does that) - however it does increase your vitamin & antioxidant consumption which is needed for a healthy body & skin. It has also been suggested (but not proven) that drinking lemon water can help support weight loss.
I for one love lemon water, and I really feel the benefits. Plus in the summer there is nothing better than an ice cold sparkling water with a slice of lemon & a sprig of mint!